The European Biochar Certificate
The European Biochar Certificate (EBC) has been developed by biochar scientists to become the voluntary European industrial standard. The EBC ensures a sustainable biochar production and low hazard use in agronomic systems. It is based on the latest scientific data, it's economically viable and close to technical and agricultural practice. Users of biochar and biochar-based products will benefit from a transparent and verifiable monitoring and independent quality control.
Biochar produced in accordance with the standards of the EBC fulfils all the requirements of sustainable production and a positive carbon footprint. These standards guarantee ecologically sustainable procurement and production of biomass feedstock for biochar production, compliance with emission standards and environmentally safe storage. Biochar quality is comprehensively monitored and documented. All threshold values, corresponding to those of the Ordinance on Soil Protection are complied with.
NEW: EBC-Certification now also for small scale producers with annual production below 20 tons.
Pillars of the European Biochar Certificate
• Independent on-site control (governmental accredited: q.inspecta)
• Unified analytical methods (accredited labs)
• Annual revision of standard by the scientific board of the EBC
• Legally backed-up
• Economical viable
• Close to practice with understandable guidelines and thresholds
The EBC certifies
1. Sustainable provision and production of biomass feedstock
2. Energy efficient, low emission pyrolysis technique
3. Biochar quality – low contaminant level
4. Low hazard use and application of biochar
The EBC was develloped to limit the risks of biochar usages at the best of our scientific knowledge and to help the users and producers of biochar to prevent or at least to reduce any hazard for the health and for the environment while producing and using biochar.